Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First Attempt

So yesterday afternoon I was on the west side of the island in Lahaina and i decided to stop in at West Maui Sports and Fishing Supply. I didn't have any flies and I don't know any patterns yet so I got some from these guys. They were super helpful and had great prices on everything I needed. Doug owns the joint and and knows a lot about salt water fly fishing but had never fished the island before. he gave me few pointers on where I should start my quest and then sent me on my way. Let me just say that if you need any fishing supplies while you are on Maui or if yo live on the west side go hit up Doug at his shop.

One of the spots that Doug sent me to is Kihei Wharf on the north side of Kihei. I didn't have time to fish on Tuesday but I remembered Doug saying that to catch Ulua or Papio (trevally) your best times to fish are at sun rise and sun set so I planned my excursion for this morning at sun rise. I woke up and left the house at about 5:30 a.m. and headed down to the wharf. The water was smooth as glass and the colors of the sky made this trip one of the most peaceful and beautiful i have ever been on. Unfortunately i had no success. this trip was to find out what kind of presentation trevally like best. I didn't find out. I did have one fish look at my fly all the way to the beach but he didn't take. i fished for about an hour and tried two of the four recommended flies. I plan on trying to figure it out tonight at sunset. i will fill you in on my findings tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment