Friday, August 27, 2010

Strike Three, Yer Out!

So this is where i gave my third shot at learning to fly fish here on Maui. This is 505 front street and this is one of the closest things to a flat that Maui has. I tried it for about an hour and went through all of my flies. I didn't a thing. I couldn't even catch a cold out there, and believe me tried because I forgot to bring a change of clothes and a towel so I was soaked with the air conditioner running all the way home.

My wife is such a good sport about all this and she decided that she was going to help me out with this adventure of mine. She picked up my Android phone and started a Google search of how to fish here. She came across an old blog entry from a mainland fly fisherman who talked about getting pointers from a Maui gentleman named Terry Doyle. Terry happens to be Maui's best and only taxidermist as well as a member of trout unlimited and an avid fisherman. I called upon my sales training and decided to give terry a call. From the car. Soaking wet. let me remind you I don"t know him or visa versa and this was around dinner time. Not something a sane person does on a Thursday night. "Hi, my name is Josh and you don't know me but I saw on the internet that you might know a little something about fly fishing here on Maui." Silence. Then he started giving me pointers of where to go and what types of patterns to use. Terry was awesome. I pointed me in the direction of the Kihei VFW (I am finding that the south side is a popular side to fish). He said that anything shrimp patterned seems to work well for O'io but didn't really know about catching Papio. I asked about a place called La Perouse. He never tried it. so my next excursion will be to those two places with some shrimp patterns and a couple of my own creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment