Thursday, August 26, 2010

Second Try

So I tried a sunset session per the suggestion of my friends over at West Maui Sports and Fishing. No dice. I am most certain that i do not have the right equipment for casting and fishing in a salt water environment like Maui. I am using a weight forward, floating freshwater fly line with about 20 yards of 40 lb backing and a 5/6 weight rod. I need to be using at least an 8 wt rod for casting in the Maui trade winds with a heavier floating saltwater fly line. Last nights experience showed me that I don't really have what it takes to fish in the wind. Not only did I not have the right gear but the wind stayed up till after dark. Now I don't know if you know about the wind we have here but it starts at about noon and goes till about 5:30 at about 10-15 mph out of the north in most cases and sometimes from the south. Last night it was coming from the west so that was something I was not prepared for since the spot I was fishing required most of my casting to be east to west. So it was no good last night. I am not writing the Kihei Wharf off as a bad spot yet. I need to learn to strip my line faster and get the right gear for this. Second issue i had last night was that the Green Sea Turtles were ll up in my business taking over the best looking spots. I don't fish where the turtles are because they will take your lure and that is a pain in the keester. I will try again tonight or tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment